Everyone at work has been talking about the new “it” bag, but you’re feeling a bit out of the loop. Perhaps you have a collection of designer bags already, or perhaps you’re considering whether it’s worth purchasing one or two iconic purses. Here’s everything you need to know before you make your next purchase.
Why Purchase Designer Bags?
There are a variety of reasons one might want to purchase a designer bag or two. Here are some of the most common reasons someone invests in a designer piece for their closet.
- A good designer bag will go with every outfit and elevate it.
When you find a bag you love, you’ll find that it goes well with your favorite outfits. When you’re first dipping your toes into the designer fashion world, a purse is a great starting point. You’ll always wear the same size, and if you treat it well, it will last for practically ever.
- Designer bags provide a fashion statement that you’re trendy without trying too hard.
If you take your time in selecting the right bag for you, it will be timeless. This is great because so much of our fashion these days is fast fashion. As they love to say on Project Runway “one day you’re in, the next day you’re out.” A good bag will last past the trends that come and go with the seasons, but it will also give the impression that you understand fashion and trends.
- Designer bags are more durable than fast fashion counterparts.
The brand name isn’t the only reason designer purses have a higher price tag. It’s also often because the materials and construction of the garment or accessory are far superior to that of off-brand items. Because they are costly, they are made to last. You may even find that per use, you wind up saving money on a designer bag.
- They have a high resale value.
If you’ve spent time on resale sites, you’ll find that most designer purchases retain much of their value. If you tire of your investment, you can generally get money out of from someone else looking for that particular item.
- Luxury goods, even if you own just one of something, give owners a mental boost.
There’s something to be said about owning a designer item and the psychological effect it has on self-perceptions of success. It also helps one to feel a certain status and to project that status when out and about.
That’s not to say you should go into debt to buy the latest “it” bag, but it is to say that if you can swing it and treat yourself, it boosts feelings of satisfaction every time you use your beloved bag.
Types of Designer Bags
So you’ve decided you’re ready to purchase a designer bag. The next thing to consider is what type of designer bag you would like.
Some shapes and styles of handbag go in and out of style every few seasons. Save those styles for the bags you pick up at your local department or mall store when shopping with friends.
When it comes to investing in designer bags, you’ll want to look for one of the classic styles that will always be popular. Here are some of the styles to consider when buying a designer handbag:
Shoulder – This is the classic everyday bag that everyone should have in their closet. When selecting a designer shoulder bag, look for one that goes from day to night easily.
Tote – Do you love to carry a planner, a book, and maybe even your latest craft project with you? You can’t go wrong with a designer tote bag on your arm. These bags are built to work hard and stand up to a lot of use.
Crossbody – If you don’t enjoy carrying things with your hands, you’ll want to look for a good crossbody designer handbag. These are great and perfect for going out on the town. When choosing a crossbody bag, be sure to check the chain or other straps are securely connected to the bag body. This is one of the bags where you can really tell the difference between a designer bag and an off-brand bag. Poor construction often results in the strap breaking.
Clutch – Like the shoulder bag, the clutch is a classic. These are small bags, with perhaps enough room for your ID and some cab fare and lipstick for touch-ups but not much more. They’re intended to go with eveningwear.
Duffel – The duffel bag is perfect for travelers and those who like to get away for a weekend here and there. Duffels are made to be strong and carry a lot of things, so you’ll want your designer duffel bag to be sturdy and made with durable materials.
Backpack or Drawstring Bag – While little backpacks are a 90s’ fashion icon, the backpack as purse hasn’t left fashion completely. These handy bags are great for walks with friends, shopping trips, and other times when you want to be stylish but also have some basic things to carry.
Wristlet – Wristlets tend to be even smaller than clutches, but they have a loop to go around the wrist. These bags really are meant to carry only what you need for a night on the town or a date.
How to Care for Your Designer Bag
When you have a designer bag, it’s important to know how to care for it properly so that you can enjoy it well into the future. Here are some tips for taking care of your handbag to promote its longevity.
- Keep it out of the light. Many fabrics and materials will fade or crack if exposed to too much sunlight. You’ll want to store your prized handbags somewhere that they will be protected from light.
- Don’t hang your handbag. It can be tempting to put a handbag on a hanger, but don’t do it. This can change the shape of the straps and the structure of the bag. Handbags are best stored on a shelf.
- Consider using a bag pillow. This goes inside your bag to help it keep its form while it’s on your shelf.
- If it isn’t an everyday bag, consider using a dust cover. For evening bags such as clutches or wristlets, a dust cover can prolong the life of your bag.
- Learn how to properly clean the materials your bag is made of. Some bags will need to be cleaned with mineral oil – like wooden purses. Others, like leather bags, might need to be cared for with leather cream. It’s worth looking up the specific care instructions for your bag before you’ll need them.
- If your handbag needs repairs, get them done immediately. Don’t continue to use the bag because the problem will likely become worse and the bag may become irreparable if enough time passes between the initial damage and when you finally take it in.
Choosing the Designer Bag That’s Right for You
Once you’ve decided that you would like a designer bag, it’s time to choose the right one to meet your needs. The very first thing you’ll want to do is consider the use and why you would like this type of purse.
If you’re new to designer items, you may want to consider an everyday bag like a shoulder bag or a tote. If you are looking to make a statement at a special occasion, you might want to look at clutches or wristlets.
Next, you’ll want to consider your budget. Designer bags can be quite affordable. If you have a smaller budget, that might dictate your choices as well. You might want to go for an evening bag that would work for several occasions or a tote rather than a shoulder bag to get more wear out of it.
Finally, you’ll consider the fun stuff – color, material, structure, design, and embellishments. If you’re looking for a bag you’ll wear often, consider neutral colors or patterns that could act as neutrals in an outfit. If you’re going for a statement bag, you’ll want to look at those.
If you’re still undecided, we can help you pick out the designer bag that’s right for you. We have a selection of designer wooden purses, clutches, wristlets, and drawstring backpacks that are handcrafted for a range of tastes and budgets.